Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2009 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Book Club Discussion: The Help

I've been reading The Help with the book club and we had our mid-book discussion a week or two ago. I really enjoyed hearing other Humanities Scholars' opinions and thoughts on the book. I'm from the south so I felt like I might have differing views or insights on the cultural aspects of the story that others in the group may not have, but, though I could explain the reality of the continued "southern belle" fantasy that many girls still have, most of the core opinions of the group were the same. We also talked about how the changes in narrator every couple of chapters contributed and detracted from the story overall, and agreed that the varied perspectives were very interesting and helpful in getting a well-rounded idea of the plight of maids in the south before segregation became illegal. I feel like our discussion was thorough, fascinating, and very enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment