Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2009 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Dog Shelter Feb 19th

A week ago, a few of us humanities scholars went to a dog shelter for the morning. I have to say, it was an incredibly enjoyable morning. After we were allowed to stop sorting newspapers, we all had the chance to take a puppy and set them up in a cage. I think that was the hardest thing to do, leave that poor dog alone in a cage with a towel. I was not a fan. Although, watching Eva's dog start peeing the moment she picked him up was pretty comical. Getting the chance to walk some of the older dogs was a great opportunity, although with an extremely limited selection, the dog I chose extremely hated other dogs. After several run-ins of wanting to fight another dog, I brought mine back inside and just enjoyed watching others. I was surprised with the amount of people there on a February morning that were looking to adopt or just looking in general. It just makes me wonder what provokes them all to come that morning and just how many go home with a dog. All in all, I thought this was a great opportunity and really fun and I hope we can continue to go back.

4 comments:

  1. I went to the Franklin County dog shelter a few weeks before the Feb 19th trip. We prepared newspaper that would be used for the dogs' cages and then we got to take the dogs out to play! That was my favorite part. Every dog that was available to be walked got to out if not once then twice which was nice. We got to see the room where the vets perform the neutering surgeries, and the man who showed us around the shelter scared us all by telling us we would be doing the surgeries. He was joking of course, but I almost peed my pants a little when he said that. I was glad to see lots of families there to adopt pets and although it was sad to see all the dogs in the cages, I would love to go back to the shelter again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Franklin County Dog Shelter was great and the staff there was really welcoming. One of the activities we did there was putting puppies in cages which like everyone else has said was pretty depressing but the puppies were really cool. Later on we got to walk some of the dogs who were scheduled to be played with. We also got the option of taking the dog off the leash in fenced areas so they could run around more and play with toys. The dog I walked was really calm until he saw Natalie’s dog and then he went berserk so after that Natalie and I kept our dogs separate. Once I finished walking my dog I gave him some treats which he ate quickly which was funny because he wouldn’t eat them outside. I would definitely go again if Humanities schedules this in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Volunteering at the Franklin County Dog Shelter was probably the most fun thing I've gotten to do through Humanities Scholars! We were lucky enough to visit on a day where a few puppy litters needed help, which was absolutely great! We helped transfer them to cages, and then we took some of the older dogs outside for walks! They loved being in the fresh air. Some of the dogs were very aggressive with each other while others got along well. Each dog had their own personality, which was very fun to see. I would absolutely do this again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh this was so much fun!! I feel like more of the service went to us than the dog shelter since we don't get a chance to hang out with cute puppies and crazy fun dogs on a regular basis. I had 3 midterms and 3 assignments the following week so I was really hesitant about going but it turned out to be a beautiful day and a much needed break. It was kind of bittersweet petting puppies then putting them in a cage, but they were so cute that I wasn't worried about them getting adopted. The older dogs, however, were what made me pretty sad. Most of them were so friendly and so excited to be taken outside of their cage... I wanted to take them all home, and I'm not even a really dog person! I really hope more people start going to shelters to get their pets!

    ReplyDelete