Sunday, March 11, 2012
Poverty Series Pt 2 - Hadley Potts
This past Thursday I attended the second Poverty Series. I was totally shocked to find out that the series dealt with poverty in Columbus rather than in foreign countries which made the speaker more relatable. The speaker started out by reading off a series of statements and we had to decide whether we agreed, disagreed, or were unsure about the accuracy of the statement. It was easy to distinguish the validity of them, however one did surprise me. She told us that in 2005 (I think that was the date) Britain spent more money on ice cream than they spent on water (this is not the exact statement but it was somewhere along those lines). Then we watched an episode from the television series 30 Days where Morgan Spurlock, the producer and star of Supersize Me, and his fiance moved to Columbus, Ohio to survive off of a minimum wage job. This show really put things into perspective for me because it showed the absurd costs of medical attention (they went to the same doctors office that I go to) as well as the defectiveness in public transportation. It makes me sympathize with criminals who are robbing students on campus. Many of them probably lacked guidance from their parents while growing up because they too were consumed with working multiple minimum wage jobs. Also their current situations are so bad that they probably feel like they have nothing to lose. Overall this was a very enlightening experience and I am glad I could attend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment