Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2009 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

ECP at the OIA

There's something that I love that I think more people should try, and that's the Office of International Affairs' English Conversation Partner program.

Unless you're soft in the head, you've noticed that the Ohio State University has hundreds of students from all over the world. The majority of these students do not speak English as their native language.

Although a degree competency in English is required to attend our university, many of our international students struggle to develop fluency. Many spend all of their time at Ohio State with other international students speaking their own languages and don't get to experience American English and American culture. Is anyone reading this?

The OIA has established its English Conversation Partner program to help international students feel at home in our culture while practicing their English. Students are paired (sometimes grouped) with internationals students through a brief matching test online. After that, the only requirement is to meet at least once a week for one hour. You can do anything: converse, eat at a restaurant, see a movie, etc.

Not only do you help them, but they help you get a different perspective on how the world works. I've worked with students from China, Taiwan, and South Korea and all of them have taught me something important, and I plan on sharing a few of those things in two posts tomorrow.

The deadline to apply for a partner Spring Quarter will be announced within the month. I hope to see more Scholars there.

No comments:

Post a Comment