Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2009 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Maya Angelou

I had the honor and privilege of seeing Maya Angelou at Mershon on February 28th. It was really exciting getting to see and listen to someone of such prestige and knowledge. Maya spoke of important things like race and acceptance. I left Mershon with a very different outlook on life, just kidding. But seriously, it was really awesome getting to see someone as intelligent and insightful as Maya Angelou.

3 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed Maya Angelou's visit. It felt like she was having a conversation with us. I liked the way she was sitting when she spoke, and the way she had a little side table standing next to her-- it made me feel like she was sitting in my own common room. I liked how open she was with us-- she told us her whole story, and didn't the leave out the gruesome parts. I was also very deeply touched by the poem she wrote for the United Nations. It made me want to devour all of her works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was privileged to spend time with Maya Angelou. As an avid reader of her poetry I feel that many of her works are inspiring but what influenced me the most was her statement about being a rainbow in someones cloud. Maya explained how each of us has the power make someones life better if even for a moment. She spoke of her handicapped uncle who taught her her multiplication tables; she spoke of her grandmother who always knew that Maya would be a teacher. Despite the fact that Maya Angelou and I were far away from each other, in physical space, in intellectual knowledge, in lifetime experience, in religious belief, in just about every way possible, I have something to teach to her, just as important as the things she taught me in a few short minutes of her time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You may not be able to control all of the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them."--Dr. Maya Angelou.
    Like Derrik, Emily, and Esther, I attended Dr. Angelou's talk at the Mershon center. She read this quote, which hangs above my desk, during her hour of talking, at which point I started to mist up. Dr Angelou has been such an inspiration to me and to so many people I know. I feel so fortunate to have had the rare opportunity to listen to her. She spoke with such presence and grace and I was blown away.

    ReplyDelete