Thursday, March 4, 2010
Maya Angelou
On February 28th, I had the opportunity of seeing the renowned African American poet Maya Angelou speak at Mershon Auditorium. I will start out by saying that Ms. Angelou is the best speaker I have ever seen. Her charisma was so contagious and when she took the stage she received a standing ovation. She spoke about race, friendship, family, and so much more. When she read her poetry, it was more than a reading; it was a performance. She read "A Brave and Startling Truth," the poem she read at the United Nations. It brought tears to my eyes, just thinking about how the first time she read this was in a room full of the representatives of all the countries in the world! Ms. Angelou has 65 doctorate degrees! Her life is such an inspiration to everyone and I will never forget the amazing night when I got to see her speak.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I went to see Maya Angelou speak as well. It was truly an incredible experience. After hearing that she has 65 doctorates and speaks several languages, I was both in awe and more motivated to do my homework! But what resounded the most with me was her advice to read any and all books that interest you. She said, don't think you can't read something because this book is "black" or this book is "white": they all belong to you. I'm so glad I had the chance to hear her speak.
ReplyDeleteI was there as well. It was fantastic! Very inspirational. She has had such an incredible life! I agree with Emily, the part that struck me most was when she said "it all belongs to you." What I also thought was brilliant though was just the fact that we had the chance to see her. All of my friends from different schools were incredibly jealous, and it sounds corny but i was so proud of my school for being able to organize events like this and bring such amazing and influential people here. this is the kind of even that people put on their bucket lists, and i got to see it for free, right down the street.
ReplyDeleteI had unfortunately never read any of Maya Angelou's work before seeing her in person, but I am putting her work on my list of must reads. Seeing her in person was incredible, she is a very vivacious speaker and person. The things that she had to go through in her life and what she has accomplished serve as a reminder to people that no matter where you come from or what happens to you, people can accomplish amazing things.
ReplyDeleteThe Maya Angelou event was hands down my favorite Humanities and OUAB event so far. I'm glad I went into it with some knowledge of her work, but even if I didn't, her message is still extremely inspiring and her presence is still powerful. I love Maya Angelou!
ReplyDeleteLike everyone else, I too went to hear Maya Angelou speak! From a project in high school, I was somewhat familiar with Maya's life story, but hearing her speak made everything so much more real and interesting. For me, the most inspiring part of her speech was a reminder to thank all of our "heroes and sheroes for being a rainbow in the clouds" for me and others. So, thank you to all of my "heroes and sheroes"!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete