Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2009 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Waiting for Superman

I saw the documentary "Waiting for Superman" at the Gateway with a friend about a month ago. This is a new documentary that takes a look at failing public schools in our nation and one possible solution: charter schools. The schools focused on during the film were located throughout the US, but the majority of them were in New York City, and both the politics and economics of the situation were examined. This documentary was extremely well-made; it included many easy-to-follow graphs and illustrations and about 5 personal stories to make the issues seem more real for the viewer. This film doesn't allow the viewer to ignore the issues in cities around our country, but instead challenges you to take action in whatever way possible.

1 comment:

  1. I also saw "Waiting for Superman" and it made me physically ill. I could not believe the condition of the public school system in the United States, especially in Washington D.C., our nations capital! I felt this movie really resonated with me because a lot of the problems this film addressed are problems that are occurring where I'm from (Cleveland). I would recommend this film to anyone who is thinking about going into education, it really rekindled my desire to become a teacher.

    ReplyDelete