Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2009 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Washington DC

I have realized that no one has blogged about the recent Humanities trip to Washington D.C. so I am taking the task on myself. This was my first trip to DC and I think it is an absolutely beautiful city during the day, and a tad scary at night. We went to the National Museum of American History where seeing Michelle Obama's inauguration dress was certainly a highlight. After a small group of us went off to the National Museum of Natural History which has to be my favorite. Walking in to a large elephant was amusing and exploring the ocean and dinosaur exhibit was highly entertaining. We trekked up to the gemology show cases where the Hope diamond was on display. I was severely enthusiastic about this. Saturday, we went to the National Gallery and although it housed some very famous paintings, some of us got the most joy out of riding the moving sidewalk in the concourse. However, I did see some great Vincent Van Gogh's that definitely made it worth it. As a first time visitor of DC, seeing the monuments was a must. The Capitol Building was my favorite as it wasn't miles away in the distance and severely guarded like the White House was. In the end, this trip was a lot of fun for me and a great first time in DC. I can't wait to go back and truly appreciate all it has to offer.

2 comments:

  1. D.C. was amazing. I was also a first timer, and loved every moment. The National Mall was pretty cool, especially the Vietnam Memorial. I wasn't a huge fan of the Art gallery, but the museums were quite fun. My favorite place was definitely the Adams Morgan District. Ben's Chili Bowl, the Meskerem Ethiopian Restaurant, and some Maggy Moo's Ice Cream Parlor were delicious. It's also good to know my friends will never betray me.

    PS, Natalie, we didn't go to the Capitol building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to hang out with Natalie and Steven in DC, along with other friends. We had fun exploring the city, navigating the Metro system, and experiencing all that it had to offer. I have to say that my favorites were the Eastern Market and our visit to the Adams Morgan district. All in all, it was a great trip!

    ReplyDelete