Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2009 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Gemology and Service

I had the opportunity to participate in two Humanities-themed events in the past three days, both of which I really enjoyed. Sunday morning, I went with a group of students to a local church and helped serve breakfast to people that come there weekly for food, clothing, prayer time, and medical attention. It was a great experience, and I'm glad I finally got to do some community service here at school. Secondly, tonight I attended the Gemology Dinner and Dialogue and learned about the origin and preciousness of various stones, as well as the conflict revolving around the procurement of many of these stones. This talk also made me aware of the option to take a future class in gemology. Both of these events were enjoyable and informative!

2 comments:

  1. I also attended the gemology dinner and dialogue and went to the local church to help out Sunday morning. Although it was difficult to be up and ready to go at 6 am, I really enjoyed the experience. It meant a lot to do something meaningful on my Sunday morning, rather than sleeping in til 2 in the afternoon. It was great to interact with people and help make their lives a little easier.

    The gemology dinner and dialogue was extremely interesting. It was good to learn more about it than just the blood diamond. I also enjoyed the talk about what countries are doing to prevent mistreatment of workers when extracting diamonds and other stones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serving breakfast at a local church to the less fortunate before the sun was up was an experience I'll never forget. The "up before the sun" part was hard and I hate to say I almost backed out..but I ended up going and it was wonderful. I really felt like I was doing good in the world, even though it was only downtown Columbus. I would really like to go back so lets plan another trip!!

    ReplyDelete