Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2009 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Scrambled Eggs

This past Sunday, I woke up at the ungodly hour of 5:45 AM and dragged myself down to the Haverfield lobby to volunteer at the New Life United Methodist Church soup kitchen. As much as I abhor waking up any time before noon on most days, this day was a great experience. As we pulled up to the church, I saw people lined up outside waiting to go in to the church. It was seriously freezing that morning; the thought of standing outside for any period of time, let alone sleeping outside was ridiculous to me. Once we got inside, I basically cracked eggs into a large bowl and then cooked scrambled eggs all morning so I don't have any really heartwarming stories but it was really nice to do a service project with my fellow Scholars and I got to know some people in our group that I didn't know before. I guess it was also kind of cool to show people that college students don't just sit around and do nothing with their lives.

1 comment:

  1. I too woke up at this early time and acccompanied the humanities scholars to the New Life United Methodist Church. I worked along with Renee cracking and scrampbling eggs all morning. I didn't get to interact with the people that we served, but I think that the people we helped really appreciated a hot breakfast on such a cold morning. For the rest of the day I felt like a good person and I plan on doing more service related activities even if it means getting up before the crack of dawn.

    ReplyDelete