Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2009 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Merce Cunningham Dance Company

Last Friday, I went down to the Mershon Auditorium to see the Merce Cunningham Dance Company. I wasn't really sure what I expected, but I usually like things that involve dance, so I thought it would be cool. My seat was in the very last row, all the way up as far as you can go. It was actually pretty cool to be up that high, because I could see everything that was going on.

The first half of the show was actually really weird. I don't think I understand the meaning of what it was supposed to be because I didn't like it. It didn't really look like dancing to me. It was just kind of random stuff as people went across the stage. There was one dancer who just walked on stage, stood there for like thirty seconds, looked into the audience, then took two or three steps, and repeated the process. The dancers were pretty good though, I guess. I liked the second half much better. There were two sections that were really different. I didn't like the music because a lot of it seemed to be random noises, like radio static. It kind of gave me a headache after awhile. The dancing was much prettier. I liked when there would be dances with the whole ensemble. I thought that looked the best and it kept my attention.

Overall, this was a pretty fun activity, although this kind of interpretive dance isn't really my thing.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. This kind of interpretive dance isn't my thing either, but I thought it was really interesting. I was curious about what the dances meant. I wanted to know the stories behind them. Surprisingly enough, I soon learned that Merce Cunningham himself remarked that there is no meaning in his dance. He said they don't actually mean anything. We are just supposed to appreciate all the dances for what they are, not for their content, which is completely against my personal belief. I believe there's more to art than mere forms. As Terry Barrett said "not to interpret [works of art] is to miss them."

    ReplyDelete