Thursday, February 25, 2010
Men in White
I'm not going to lie when I first heard the title all I could think of was men in white tights.... Well not even close to what I experienced last Saturday night. The show was centered around the struggle of doctors during the American depression. The play was very well staged and the set was awesome looking (the Hippocratic oath is written on the walls and floor of the stage). The main actor was actually a TA in my theatre class and it was neat to see him on stage. The play had some interesting twists and touched on all the emotions. The only really odd part was the dance number in the middle. Don't get me wrong it was cool and the guy was really good, but it just didn't make much sense as to why it was there. Besides for that minor bump, it was great. Definitely recommend still going to see it if anyone has the chance!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I went to go see Men in White too and I agree with Kelsey, the dancing scene was weird. However, I'd heard it was to underline the idea that surgery is an art, which is great, but definitely weird. I found that the play didn't just deal with themes in medicine that died out in the 1930s. A lot of what the doctors were dealing with, poverty, politics, differing opinions in regards to medicine, all are still big today. I find it interesting that they decided on this play in light that not only are hospitals and patients facing similar econimic strain now, but also because of recent attempts at health care reform. The doctors then had to deal with their rich benefactors who kept the hospitals running financially. Today they have to deal with insurance companies and if the recent health care reform had passed, they'd have to deal with the government as well. In the play, the doctors talk about their hopes for "freedom" someday, or a freedom to do their practice without the interference of financial influence. Personnally, I agree that it would be great if medicine could be free of financial restraints. However, that probably won't ever happen since, as the play points out, hospitals are as much a business as they are health facilities. Parallels aside, the play itself was really great and I would definitely recommend seeing it if you ever get a chance to.
ReplyDelete