Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2009 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Seussical the Musical

Three Fridays ago, I attended "Seussical the Musical" at the Columbus Children's Theatre. It definitely was not what I expected. The show itself was a sort of Seuss extravaganza, featuring characters and plots from many of Seuss' classic children's books, including "Horton Hears a Who!" "Horton Hatches an Egg," and "The Cat in the Hat," as well as many others. The story is begins with a young Who (the very same Whos that live just South of The Grinch) named Jojo, who is encouraged by the Cat in the Hat to think, to use his imagination. Jojo lives in Whoville, a location with a variety of problems, including a war between those who eat their bread Butter Side Up against those who eat their bread Butter Side Down, and the the deforestation of the Truffula trees. The biggest problem, though, is that Whoville is located on a clover, held by none other than Horton the Elephant. Horton has his own set of problems, including a jungle full of creatures that would love nothing more than to crush Horton's precious clover. This was a really fun musical, with colorful and interesting costumes, exaggerated characters, and exciting songs. I was a little bit suprised at the amount of children in the audience--this was definitely a kid's show, but it was fun none the less.

1 comment:

  1. I also attended Suessical the Musical! Though Emily covered the majority of the details about the plot, I also just want to say how much I enjoyed going to see the show! The costumes and the colors were extraordinary and all the characters were very fun to watch! I'd never seen Suessical before so it was such a great opportunity that we got to attend the show! It's great that Humanities Scholars provides us with these excellent events and opportunities to go out on a Friday night and see a great musical!

    ReplyDelete