Friday, January 29, 2010
Postsecret by Frank Warren
On Wednesday January 27th, I attended Frank Warren's event at Mershon Auditorium. He has collected secrets since 2005 and now has 5 books available. His website, www.postsecret.blogspot.com, is updated every Sunday with new secrets available for everyone without buying a book. In his discussion, I found it the most interesting of how he started all of this. He told us how he randomly decided to make postcards advising the sender to write down a secret they haven't told anyone at all whether it be a fear, want, desire, or funny story. Frank walked around his city giving it out to people at random hoping for at least a little feedback. He had no idea how his project would spread across the world. I love how a man can easily go out into the world and start something this big just by simply handing out a postcard. What got to me most out of this was at the end when he allowed people in the audience to stand up and share with us a secret of their own. It surprised me how in depth and heartfelt some people's secrets were and what they were willing to share with hundreds of random strangers. I felt inspired by their courage to publicly share their secret instead of sending it anonymously. Some stories were truly very heartbreaking and painful to here. I think it would do everyone good to at some point in their life to share a secret whether it be with a friend, stranger, or by sending it in to Frank. The message we all learn is: We are not alone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love love love Frank Warren and Postsecret forever. I've been to other postsecret events but I foudn this one particularly inspiring because it felt closer to home [aka camp OSU]. I even heard two people from my building speak at the mic to share their secrets; that was the most uplifting of all.
ReplyDeletePostsecret was amazing. I've gone to the website but before this I had never been to an event and it was truly inspiring. Frank Warren's message and his goals really moved me, and hearing OSU students share their secrets really hit home that we are one big OSU family.
ReplyDeleteI was very inspired by this event--I loved when the people in the audience got a chance to share their secrets, and hearing frank warren talk about how the whole project started and how it grew was fascinating
ReplyDelete^carly wrote that
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed post secret because I am really nosey and loved learning about everyone's secrets. I guess it was also inspiring to learn about all these things people had been holding in. Secrets are really personal and it was really fun and exciting to hear people's secrets.
ReplyDeleteIt was awe-inspiring to see students stand up in a room of hundreds of strangers and reveal their deepest secrets. Some secrets were humorous, and some were far from it, but all were important.
ReplyDelete